My Journey In Numbers...

Friday, August 27, 2010

Decisions

So...lately I have been thinking how different my life would be if I would have made different decisions.

I was quite focused in highschool. I did not hand out with the "bad" crowd or make young stupid decisions. I was a nerd that loved school...loved physics...loved my CAD classes.

Physicist....Architect....NICU Nurse

Those were the careers I was deciding from...NOT HR! Human Resources was never even in the back of my mind. It was not something I ever imagined being interested in.

Why dwell on the past?

I went for a long walk through my neighborhood the other night. It was a lovely night and perfect for such a walk! I passed this house that had a very interestingly designed garage...I cannot even tell you about it...you just need to see it. Then I started thinking about how much I wanted to me an architect....I LOVED seeing things come to life with my pencil and then putting them to scale on the computer in Auto CAD and sometimes building scaled models in the lab...it was AWESOME!

But I made some decisions before my senior year that changed the course of my future....I got upset one day in 11th grade and said something to the effect of: "I am done with this school! I am transferring out!!" I went to a special highschool. I went to a highschool that focused on Math, Science, and Engineering. I got all the specialty classes that fueled my love for physics and architecture...I LOVED that school....and I made a decision in the heat of the moment that drastically changed my future. One of my all time favorite teachers found me later that day and said: "Kayla, you don't have to leave. I know you and I know you will leave just because you said you wanted to because you won't want to back down from what you said. Don't do that. Don't lose the opportunities you have hear. You have so much more you can learn." He was right. The only reason I left that school was because I was mad one day and said I would and I didn't want people to think I said stuff and didn't follow through...so I left.

Now, don't get me wrong...I am not saying my life now sucks or anything...parts of it do (OH DO THEY EVER) but overall I would not have met the amazing friends I have now...I would not have had the same life experiences...alot of things would have been different.

I know I can't go back...I have WAY too much in student load debt for me to EVER change my career path now...but sometimes I think about how things could have ended up.

I believe things happen for a reason....but sometimes I wonder....

1 comment:

  1. I think we all do this from time to time. I know there are decisions even now that I would love to take back so that I could see "what if".... I'm just not sure life works like that though. I think from even our worst decisions, good things can rise.

    I know you know that, and I know you still just can't help wondering... been there, done that! ;)

    ReplyDelete