My Journey In Numbers...

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Can't catch a break!

For some reason I started hemorrhaging a couple of weeks ago. I filled 4 pads in less than 2 hours before it slowed down and was about a pad an hour until 3am and then it completely stopped. I cld the clinic in the morning and the triage nurse yelled at me for not going to the ER and said that much bleeding is classified as hemorrhaging and then she made an appt. with one of the doctors - a doctor I do not know because my doctor was off. I did NOT like this new doctor. She didn't know why it happened and wasn't concerned because it stopped on its own. She mentioned it could have been a torn artery. She didn't even check my hemoglobin. I was quite angry because on this drug I am not supposed to have such heavy bleeding (or any bleeding really). Plus do we all not remember the last time I had an artery that was cut during surgery that the doctor forgot to stich?! That was AWESOME! For those who don't know...read on!

Two days after surgery, my surgeons (I had an OBGYN surgeon and a general surgeon) checked me out in the morning. I then got up around 9 to take a leisurely walk around the floor with my nurse. About 5 feet out of my hospital room, my head got "thick" I could not hear or see anything and started having problems breathing. I remember screaming for my nurse and crying. I remember hearing people yelling at me and asking me to do different things, but I couldn't. Just over three hours later I woke up in my bed hooked up to oxygen and a variety of other machines. I was still feeling awful but had to go to the bathroom. In an attempt to make it to the bathroom with my nurse the same episode happened again. Needless to say it was the scariest thing that ever happened to me and my nurses were equally concerned. Doctors were paged (not mine unfortunately the on call docs) and they made "over the phone" diagnoses. Not what I would say is appropriate in this case but I was too out of it to know what was going on. The day slowly ticked away. I continued to be in horrific and unmanageable pain, pale, and dependent on oxygen. They had to re-cath me because the nurses knew I couldn't get out of bed to go to the bathroom without passing out. The next morning comes and both of my surgeons are at my bedside with their nurses. They booked the OR, scheduled a CT Scan, and ordered units of blood. I had lost a significant amount of blood and required a blood transfusion as soon as possible. The CT Scan showed what the surgeons suspected. I had a massive abdominal hematoma from the surgery and it needed to be drained that day.

Have I mentioned lately I hate my clinic and doctors that are not MINE?! I would switch but I love my doctor and don't know that I would trust anyone else. I am the picture perfect patient that will have every complication in the book....no matter how small the odds.

The night I started hemorrhaging a couple of weeks ago I had plans to watch the MN Twins game with a cute boy. He has been around for over a year and knows quite a bit...not everything...but enough. I texted him and told him something was really wrong and I couldn't watch the game. He immediately called me and asked what was going on. He then said "Well I was just about to turn on your street but I guess I will go home. Get some rest." Really?! Get some rest?! I am currently losing so much blood it literally feels like I am peeing my pants and he says I am going home and to get rest?! Right...I picked a winner...AGAIN! To top it off...I didn't hear from him for days and the only reason I did hear from him was cuz I texted him! At some point everyone shows their true colors....I think I need to end things with him but it is a lot easier to think and say than actually do!

Latest issue....well apparently my body cannot do anything right! Even the simplest thing (i.e ear piercing fails)! I got my ears pierced in March, 2010 for the third time. The first time I had to let them close when I had surgery at age 5. Then I got them pierced again in 6th grade with a super cool star stud...and woke up one morning for school and the star had been sucked through the front of my earlobe and was stuck inside my ear! That was a painful extraction and yet again resulted in me letting them close up. This time I decided to go to a professional piercer that used a hollow needle thinking the would heal better....boy was I wrong. Why would I EVER think my body would do even the most simple tasks correctly?! Seriously. 7 months later, my ears HURT and goop is still coming out. They actually wake me up at night and won't heal! I am afraid I have to take my earings out and just let the piercings close...but I don't want to! I spend $100 to get these holes in my head. Why can't I do the simplest girl thing and have it work out?!

This girl cannot catch a break from life....and damnit I am tired of it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Kayla! That is awful! I hate that you had to go through this, and that your doctor didn't look at you closer this time! I just hate it!

    ReplyDelete